Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My favourite 5 concerts of 2011 (TWO)

Musical shows in Uganda are some of the most competitive events you can come across anywhere. There are numerous yardsticks that are used by different people to judge what constitutes a good show.
 
This one is simply from my vantage point at these shows. I use my experience. In no particular order. I will feature them in different articles and give them article numbers that dont indicate positions


Other in this list shows here


2. MAURICE KIRYA




I had always wanted to do a show for Maurice. We talked about it for a while and then I gave up


He then came up to us and said I want to do a show that is different. He had some truly crazy ideas about how he wanted the show done and I am saying CRAZY! We indulged some. He wanted 20 bodabodas on the stage. and Iam talking real bodaboda men, helmets, dirty jackets and all. The bodaboda smoke would set of the Serena Hotel fire alarms.
A boda man can have an accident all on his own in a large open space.  Now Maurice wanted  many of them on a small stage that had some expensive equipment. We jammed!


We had many meetings What came out was that Maurice knew EXACTLY what he wanted down which light should be warm yellow 3 minutes into which song.

 

I hear Maurice called for auditions on Facebook. Then whittled down to this wondrous meloidious group!

Cheeky lighting when Valerie came on. Henry (our lighting guy) made it seem like her dress glowed and threw light on the crowd!


My friend Hosea Jemba was on board with a Panasonic HPX 370. For the first time we rocked HD for the whole show. Stuff doesn't get tighter than that! Thanks Hosea and Julius Sentongo

My biggest worry was that since Maurice was integral to the pre-production, he would fail to be the artiste and try to direct the show form the stage. Shouldn't have worried, should I?


That is a real boda boda man. Hosea has an elbow up. just in case 

And it was a wonderful show. Maurice has done over 30 concerts around Africa and the experience shows. The air was electric. The choir crooned! Girls screamed 'Marry Me Maurice!' and swung placards and guys danced. The boda boda men drove on. Yes. But just 2 of them. They were nice and they didn't knock down anyone. They wanted to get on 2 songs early and I got a bouncer to keep them in check!


His brother Vampos did a cameo at the climax. Vampos quipped before going on,'Iam gonna have to get paid before I go on. This thing of being his brother isn’t gonna work this time.,.' he then ran on and rocked! I didn’t see any payment made.


Maurice has a unique style. And a fire in the belly. And we indulged him a lot. Hardly any compromises were made in doing this show. Wonderful, wonderful show!

No comments:

Post a Comment