Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My favourite 5 concerts of 2011 (THREE)


Musical shows in Uganda are some of the most competitive events you can come across anywhere. Numerous yardsticks  are used by different people to judge what constitutes a good show.


This it is simply from my vantage point at these shows. I use my experience. In no particular order. I will feature them in different articles and give them article numbers that dont indicate positions.



JUDITH BABIRYE:  MAAMA WANGE
Judith had a wonderful selling point. Our mothers. And she is a crossover artiste. She braved the Nile Hotel myth and we had the makings of a really nice concert. Now, many times this concert bordered on running away from us. Awards were given out that we were unaware of initially. And I couldn’t find the responsible people when it was time for the awards.
But I like Bugembe’s appearance even when he had his own show at Nakivubo on the same night. He asked me if he could perform early and go. I said how many songs. He said only one.  I said please do two. He said no time, only one. I said if  you do only one I will make you perform last! Bad joke I think. He was under pressure to run and he took me seriously. He glowered at me. I didn’t know he could do that! He performed 5 minutes later.
Then there were the presidents daughters. They have grown up in the public glare that comes with their father running this country for over 20 years. Yet they are shy. They fidgeted.  A lot. Then for some reason they were called up to the stage to hand over something. Events overtook what was being awarded and they got stuck up there. To make things worse they were asked to say something. I was sure they were going to bolt.


Surprise appearance

Shy



Surprise embrace




A mother closes her eyes and grooves  as a 128 channel ilive digital mixer behind her thumps out the song "Maama"




I liked this show a lot because everyone brought their mothers. Very different crowd from the usual. Many white haired ladies in their favourite busutis. At some point their all stood up and danced with their sons. And daughters. All kinds of funny dances from the 40s and 50s. And all kinds of tears. Men concentrating on their forgotten favourite women and many wives happily stepping aside to let it happen.
I thought maybe the sound system is too loud for some of them. I was tempted to turn it down. I didn’t want the concert remembered for all the wrong reasons.
Then some sad stories and a sad video. Then we danced again and celebrated the gift of mothers and all they mean to us. Wonderful concert

No comments:

Post a Comment