Friday, February 3, 2012

My favourite 5 concerts of 2011 (FIVE)



Musical shows in Uganda are some of the most competitive events you can come across anywhere. Numerous yardsticks  are used by different people to judge what constitutes a good show.

This it is simply from my vantage point at these shows. I use my experience. In no particular order. I will feature them in different articles and give them article numbers that dont indicate positions.

INDIAN SHOW

The Indian community does "India Day" every year. Usually in a hall. Indoors. Now they feel they have grown as an event and they think they are big enough for a stadium. They are right.

Each year they have a large contingent of kids performing at the variety show. They never lose a kid, come up to me with a chit of with the name of a lost kid. Not once. And they come with their kids. All of them. And some are performing complicated routines on stage. The don't announce who should be backstage, lose a costume or a shoe. They never get in each others way or argue about who goes on before who. They are a well oiled machine.

When we have a small show with 6 local artistes they argue about who should go on first and last. And then I have to put my foot down. And I get disliked. The Indians never do any of that. And when the youngest lot comes on they avoid having an adult visible on stage and that is beautiful.

The 2011 show had the benefit on coming the day after the Sean Kingston show. They setup was complete days before and the lighting, sound and general scale of things was huge. They got up and danced. A whole stadium of Ugandan Indians!
Play-back singer Raja Hassan, TV singer Rehaan Khan and super star singer Pragya Sodhani, all guests from India, and they were fantastic. I don’t know if they have performed together before this but they were huge.

I like India day.


Full stadium

No adults in long complicated routines
Shy gals


Chinese like synchronization

Bullet time!

Proudly Indian

Shadow theatre! When did you last see that?

Huge Fireworks

Dwarfed by the stage
Star parade
Sense of Style


Stepping out



Dusk till dawn

Variety

Control tower salute. I think!
Stars! You've noticed I am not putting their names. I forgot the names! Shame on me

No comments:

Post a Comment